County Online & Phone Services

We recognize many people are now working from home or unable to leave the house due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please note Lewis & Clark County has many services that can be done either online or by phone and have listed them below for your convenience.

Clerk & Recorder Services

The following services under the Lewis and Clark County Treasurer/Clerk and Recorder’s office will be available through mail and online only beginning at 5:00 p.m., March 23rd.

All of the following services are available on an emergency basis by calling the department you need during regular office hours:

Elections (406) 447-8339

Records (406) 447-8337

Tax Department (406) 447-8329

Motor Vehicle Department (406) 447-8328

Accounting Department (406) 447-8327

Burn PermitsRenew at
ElectionsVoter Registration and Elections Online Services Check if you are registered to vote and if you are signed up for absentee ballots: While you cannot register to vote or request an absentee ballot online, you can download the form so you can complete, print, sign, and then return:

Voter Registration Application

Absentee Ballot Application

Voter Registration and Elections Phone Services Most updates and requests require a signed form; however, if you call our office at 447-8339 we can look up your registration information and mail you any forms you need.
Motor Vehicle RegistrationRenewals:
-On-line at If you have changed counties or moved since your last renewal/initial registration you will need to verify your address prior to renewing.
-Through the mail*.
-Drop payment in the Red Box in Lobby.
-Please email DOJMVDLEWISCLARKCOUNTY(at) or call 447-8328 to verify address prior to renewing on-line or to get an amount due for registration or permanent registration.
-We will accept credit card payments over the phone for renewals expiring before 4/30/2020.

Temporary Registrations:
-E-mail front and back of the title or bill of sale to DOJMVDLEWISCLARK(at) Please put TRP Request and Last name in the subject name.
-Fax Front and back of the title or bill of sale to 406-447-8330 with a cover page that has your name and address on it. We will then mail your TRP to you.
-Drop a copy of the front in back of the title or bill of sale in the mail slot in Motor Vehicle Window 4. -Please include an e-mail address if you wish it to be e-mailed to you or an address if it is to be mailed.

Vehicle Titles:
Dealer/lender sending paperwork to MVD:
-If you received a letter with a quote on it please send that amount in or email DOJMVDLEWISCLARK(at) or call 447-8328 for alternate plates or payment type.
-E-mail or call DOJMVDLEWISCLARK(at) or call 447-8328 for instructions.

Customer with paperwork in-hand:
-Email DOJMVDLEWISCLARK(at) for review of paperwork, if needed.
-Mail* all necessary documents to Lewis & Clark County MVD with blank check for payment or a reliable phone number where we can reach you for payment.
-Drop Title Paperwork in the mail slot in Motor Vehicle Window 4 with blank check for payment or reliable phone number where we may reach you for payment.
Pay property taxes
Record documents
Responding to recording information requests by e-mail
to or phone at 447-8337
Request vital records Email
completed forms to 
Review and file surveysCall 447-8337 to coordinate  
Search documents

Permits and Applications for Building and Development

Addressing applications
Approach permits
Encroachment agreements
Floodplain permits
GIS and Map Services 
Subdivision applications
 All permits processed on a regular basis are online: Email to or call 447-8374.

Clerk of Court

Marriage Licenses If document is pre-filled out, it should not take long to issue marriage licenses.
Records Requests
Filing Filing can be done by email and staff can then call to get payment.
District Court Calendars
Jury Information


East Helena property cleanup status
East Helena soil displacement permit
General information
Septic permits

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s